Skip to Content

Hiring Your Children and Taxes

Hiring your children is a great way to teach work ethics, skills, and good money management habits. It is also a great tax deduction for the parent, too, when handled properly.

The opportunity is great, but the rules are plenty. Understanding these tax rules allows you to achieve the maximum tax advantage.

The tax rules are different based upon the age of the child and the entity structure of your business.

If your child is under age 18, your sole proprietor business — including rental income properties and farmers — can pay your child without payroll taxes (FICA taxes: Social Security and Medicare). Income tax withholding still applies. A 1099 or W-2 is required and the parent’s business can deduct the expense. Note that a 1099 indicates your child is a subcontractor and subject to self-employment taxes. Therefore, it is best to hire your minor child as an employee.

An LLC will not destroy the simplicity or the tax advantages (no payroll tax) as long as the LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes. Generally, if the business income and expenses are recorded on the personal tax return the tax advantages of hiring your child apply.

An LLC electing to be treated as either a C-corporation or S-corporation are regarded entities. Payroll to a child of the owner of a regarded entity are treated as any other employee. A W-2 is required and payroll taxes apply. Reason? The child is your child, not the entity’s.

Partnerships with only the parents as partners also get the same tax advantage as a sole proprietorship. If the partnership has a non-parent partner, wages to your child will require a W-2 where the payroll tax applies.

Use this chart to determine taxes owed and avoided when hiring your children.

Work Duties of the Child

There must be a real employment situation for a business owner to deduct wages paid to a minor child of the owner. Your two-year old child doesn’t qualify as the company accountant, for example.

Farmers live in the sweet spot. Putting the kids to work feeding calves, cleaning barns, or milking cows often starts at an early age. Wages paid to minor children do not require payroll tax withholding as long as the business is not a corporation. This is a massive tax savings for family farms.

The road can be wide. Your two-year-old child can get a wage under certain circumstances. If you have a children’s clothing company, it is reasonable that you would need children to model the clothes. Your child can be that model.

The important point here is that the child must earn the wage. Cleaning offices can be a reasonable job for your children. Facts and circumstances always prevail. The best guideline: Would you hire someone else to do the same job if your child were not available and at the same pay rate?

The wage needs to be reasonable. Wages paid to your minor child need to be similar to what is paid to a non-related party.

Tax Deduction Details

Before I dig into tax strategies to supercharge hiring your children, we need to clarify the rules.

The issue here is the payroll tax and unemployment insurance.

The payroll tax is called FICA. This is the flat tax withheld from an employee’s paycheck. The employer pays the same amount. The payroll tax is 15.3% in total; half paid by the employee and half by the employer. The Social Security portion of this tax has an upper limit unlikely to play a role when hiring your children. In short, the employee and employer each pay an equal amount of payroll tax. When the payroll tax doesn’t apply to the child, it doesn’t apply to the business either.

Unemployment insurance is determined at the state level. Many factors come into play. The employer pays 100% of unemployment insurance. There is also federal unemployment insurance (FUTA).

Sole proprietorships and partnerships where the parents are the only owners get the favorable tax treatment listed above. LLCs taxed the same also get the same treatment. Cleaning apartments and helping with maintenance on income properties also applies as long as the activity is not taxed as a C- or S-corporation, or a partnership with a non-parent owner.

Your child can earn up to the standard deduction ($14,600 in 2024) with all income in the 0% tax bracket. Your business still gets the deduction.

Up to age 18, payroll taxes are also avoided. Once your child reaches 18 you are required to withhold the payroll tax and income tax withholding, if applicable.

You avoid FUTA until your child reaches her 21st birthday.

Until the year your child reaches her 18th birthday, a W-2 is still required and should be issued. Your business deducts the expense. Your child will file a tax return, reporting the income from the W-2. The W-2 will not have FICA wages.

Child photographer. Children and taxes.
Hiring your children and taxes. Child taking photographs for marketing material.

Roth IRA

While filing a tax return might not be required for the child if they are under the income limit for filing, it is a good idea to do so anyway if you are reporting a Roth contribution.

Your minor child still gets the standard deduction. I will assume your child earns the standard deduction amount or less for this example.

Your child pays no income tax using the assumption above. Since there is no payroll or income tax, your child can fund their Roth IRA without current tax consequences. And all the growth is tax-free.

Time is your greatest friend when investing. Because your child is starting at a young age funding her Roth IRA, she is likely to have an outsized Roth IRA at a young ago. Early retirement is an option for her.

Youth Labor Laws

Following labor laws is still required when hiring your children. Use the link in this paragraph for more details on labor laws.

You need to track the hours and tasks performed by your child. This is good business; it is also necessary to prove your deduction. Just throwing a number out at tax time is a good way to get a deduction disallowed.

S-Corps, C-Corps and Partnerships

The favorable treatment of wages to your child require that the wage come from your business. You are the one paying your child for a business purpose. Household chores do not count.

An S- and C-corp are legal (regarded) entities. Your child is not the entity’s child. Therefore, wages paid from a regarded entity to your child is wages treated as wages to any other individual. FICA, state unemployment insurance, and FUTA will apply.

Partnerships composed of the parents only also avoid FICA and FUTA on wages to minor children.

Partnerships with partners not a parent of the minor child must treat wages paid in the same manner as wages to any other individual. Payroll taxes apply.

Note: An entity, S-corp as an example, will still deduct wages paid to an owner’s child. The child still gets the standard deduction before income taxes begin. The child can still invest in a Roth IRA. The difference is the payroll tax and unemployment insurance apply.

Kiddie Tax

Earned incomes (wages) are not the only income your child might have. Unearned income (interest, dividends, and capital gains) are other sources of income.

In 2024, $1,250 of unearned income is tax-free to the child up to the year they reach 18, and full-time students to age 23 where their earned income is not over half their support. The next $1,250 is taxed at the child’s tax rate. Additional unearned income is taxed at the higher of the child’s or parent’s tax rate.

Unearned income can limit the benefits outlined in this article when paying your minor child for business related activities.

S-Corp Workaround

The S-corporation is a powerful tool for reducing taxes. If your S-corp pays your minor child for services a W-2 is required, along with the appropriate FICA taxes and income tax withholding.

But there is a workaround.

If your business is organized as an S- or C-corporation FICA and FUTA apply to wages paid to your minor children.

But you can pay your minor children from a family management company to regain all the benefits of paying your children from a sole proprietorship.

A family management company is a sole proprietorship you set up to manage certain aspects of your S- (or C) corporation. The S-corporation pays a management fee to the family management company which pays your children. All the rules for paying minor children from a sole proprietorship then apply.

Paying your minor children is a simple concept. There are a few rules that need to be followed to gain the maximum tax benefit. These rules allow you a full tax deduction while your children benefit from tax-free income and the ability to fund a Roth IRA.

And the money lessons and work ethics acquired will serve your children their entire life.


Wednesday 29th of May 2024

Can you please send me an IRS link on IRS code stating its not necessary to file a W2 or 1099 for your Child under the age of 18 in a family management company single member LLC. I just wanted to make sure since there are other articles that agree and disagree on this subject. I really appreciate it, thanks for the great article.


Friday 31st of May 2024

@Keith Taxguy, EA, Thank you! Yea, I agree its not clear. Perhaps a work around is the child completes a form W-4 exempting them from withholding then you can be list the fees paid to them on your schedule C Family Management Company as other services with no 1099. Does that work?

Keith Taxguy, EA

Wednesday 29th of May 2024


The Family Management Company (FMC) is not a recognised term in taxes. That said, a SMLLC is a disregarded entity by default unless an election was made to be treated as a corporation. As a disregarded entity, you disregard the LLC for tax purposes. Income and expenses are reported on Schedules C, E, or F, depending on your situation.

The IRS is silent on the actual filing of a W-2 or 1099 on their Family Help page. However, since income taxes are required to be withheld, it can be assumed you are required to file a W-2.


Thursday 14th of March 2024

I am a single sole proprietor. I paid my 16 year old to clean my office. She only earned about $2,000 for the year. I did not issue a W2. Where do I put this $2,000 expense on my schedule C?


Saturday 16th of March 2024

@Keith Taxguy, EA, Thank you. Am o required to issue her a 1099 then?

Keith Taxguy, EA

Thursday 14th of March 2024

Kristina, I would put it under Contract Labor. However, it is required you issue a W-2.


Monday 24th of July 2023

Great article as always. Also important to watch state filing requirements, which can often be lower than fed filing requirements, if you were considering not filling a return.

Keith Taxguy, EA

Monday 24th of July 2023


I often have to dance around the state tax issues because the rules between states can vary widely. Covering all the state nuanced would turn the post into bloat.

This is a significant issue when hiring minor children.


Monday 17th of July 2023

Are the rules for minor grandchildren the same as minor children as you describe in the article or are they considered regular employees?

Keith Taxguy, EA

Monday 17th of July 2023


The info in this article applies to your minor children only. It does not apply to grandchildren.

But there is a workaround! It is similar to the workaround in this article when an S-corp is involved. In this workaround, you pay your adult children and issue them a 1099-NEC for the work performed. Your children claim the income on Schedule C and deduct the wages they pay their children (your grandchildren).


Monday 17th of July 2023

Thanks for the article. I run a handyman business and have two kids under 18 helping me out part time. I wish I would have read this article sooner. I have my oldest on payroll and will generate a W2. I wasn’t aware that a W2 is not necessary under 18. Thanks for the great article.


Tuesday 18th of July 2023

@Keith Taxguy, EA, thank you for that tip. I will take note of that. I appreciate your content. Thank you.

Keith Taxguy, EA

Monday 17th of July 2023


A W-2 is required. There are no Social Security or Medicare wages only. You can amend the 941s and tax returns to get any monies paid in if the returns were filed incorrectly.